[windows2000] Re: large number of files in folder, slow lan access

  • From: Jim Walls <k6ccc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 08:37:25 -0700

Richard Hopper wrote:

> Hi,
>         I have a NT4 server which has a few folders with a fairly large
> number of files. 4000, or 12000 say.  Most of the files are fairly small <
> 16K.   Browsing through these folders is painfully slow.  The server is not
> heavily loaded by any means.  Is there anything I can do to improve this.
> The server is a 333Mhz PII with 256meg of ram. with over 180 megs of ram
> available.

Off hand I would think about better organization of the directory structure.
Do you really need to have 12,000 files in the same directory?  I can assure
you that if I had to wade through thousands of files in a directory listing to
pick the one I want to work on, that would get old REAL FAST.

Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@xxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501