[windows2000] global catalog servers and domain controllers, etc

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <WINDOWS2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:08:45 -0600

OK, here's another ignorant question.  As I've mentioned before, I'm now =
the system admin, and I don't have that much experience at it.  My =
former boss, who was the system admin, made up a PowerPoint document =
detailing the servers on the network, their relationships and primary =
functions.  On only one of them, he write "Global Catalog Server".  =
However on a few others he wrote "Domain Controller".

Now, all of these are Windows 2000 Servers.  We have Active Directory on =
the system.

What is the difference between a global catalog server and a domain =
controller?=20

=A0
Rod Falanga
http://amci.unm.edu