[windows2000] echoing to a file

  • From: "Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:54:32 -0400

Hi list,

I'm not ultra-concerned with this, but I thought I'd throw it out here
in case someone happens to know why this is happening.  I added some
things to all our employees' logon scripts (about 750 employees) and one
of the lines I added is:

echo %COMPUTERNAME%>>\\SOME_SERVER\Logs$\jhie\jhie.log

When I came in this morning and looked at the log file, there were only
about 40 computers listed.  I thought that was odd.  Then I looked a
minute later and there were only 20 computers listed, and they were all
different ones.  That happened a couple more times.  So, it seems that
there are some computers that are ignoring the >> and are creating a new
file instead of appending to it.  Anyone happen to know if this is
something that is caused by having a few hundred computers trying to
write to a file at the same time, or perhaps if this is a known issue
with, uh, yeah, uh, Windows NT without service pack 6a or something?
Like I said, it doesn't matter.  Just curious.

Thanks,

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com