[windows2000] Re: Windows XP causing broadcast storm on network

  • From: "Kevin Alexander" <kalexander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:33:09 -0000

Angus

Just to let you know, you were spot on - it was Welchia.  As I said in my first
post, I had ruled out a virus because Norton was installed on all the computers.

However, we discovered that someone had brought in a laptop without AV
protection and plugged it into the network.  It then infected all the new
systems we put in BEFORE they could pulled down auto updates from Microsoft.
Quite how it got through Norton isn't clear but fixwelchia, MS patch, change
date, reboot worked for all 6 affected systems.

Nice one, much appreciated, cheque in the post ;-)
Kev