[windows2000] Re: Windows 2000 domain upgrade

  • From: Dave stevens <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:44:14 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Ken,

Great advice. Any white papers on this?

So my understanding is that you upgrade your DC's first, before your file
servers. Again would it be better to upgrade exchange 2000 to 2003 before
upgrading the base OS. Not quite sure which comes first.

Thanks

Dave

"Leitman, Ken" <ken.leitman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

1)       you must go to Windows 2003 SP1 for your DCs.

2)       If you have remote offices with DCs check rpc settings for timeouts,
we did have some issues with this setting being changed with SP1

3)       Verify all hardware drivers with SP1 before you roll it out, some
video and other drivers MUST be upgraded, this was our biggest issue and we had
issues with SCSI, video and network cards

4)       Start simple with local FSMO servers and make sure you have a plan in
place to move roles around

We did all of our 54 DCs in about three weeks. Without SP1 we ran into all
sorts of crazy issues, even with all of our testing.

We use HP servers, but we have seen the same driver problems on eval IBM and
Dell servers when applying SP1

Remove any third party software you can before any server upgrades, by removing
the monitoring, AV and backup software, we were able to script an in place
upgrade from W2K to W2K3.

Plan, test, plan some more and good luck, thankfully this is less complex than
Nt4 à W2K, or initial AD design/implementation,

kl