[windows2000] Re: Windows 2000 domain disaster recovery

  • From: Dave stevens <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 02:43:04 -0800 (PST)

Sorin,

  This is the situation.We do have 4 DC's in our live environment. However I
want to duplicate our domain for test purposes. I need to also be able to grab
user account information and stuiff like that, as I will be restoring Exchange,
and testing other applications. What I am trying to do is use backup to get
things up and running.

  Ta
  Dave

Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      AFAIK, yes, since the GUID-versions or whatever it's called, are newer on
your active DC, compared to your inactive. This is also one of the (main)
reasons I choose to have two real DCs.

  From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sorin Srbu

  Your strategy implies you don't do or change anything too often to your AD.
Myself, I'm sort of mirroring the dept setup with DCs, AD and software
deployments (most notably servicepacks and new office versions) before I roll
them out IRL at the dept. I found this way I'm saving myself quite a few gray
hairs... 8-)