[windows2000] Re: Will renaming a server cause problems with SQL Server 2000?

  • From: "Ray at work" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 08:58:22 -0400

What I would probably do is-after hours-is do full backups of the DBs on the
old server, rename the old server (and change IP), name the new server to
the current server name (and give current IP), THEN install SQL Server on
the new server, and restore the databases onto the new server.

If you ~have~ to rename a server with SQL Server installed on it, you have
to be sure to run sp_drop|addserver.  See "Renaming servers--renaming a
server" in BOL.  Also be aware of this KB article.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=303774

Ray at work