[windows2000] Why can't anyone access a shared folder except to read it?

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:24:47 -0700

I've got a simple peer-to-peer network with two desktops and a laptop, all
running Windows XP Professional with SP2.  Everyone in my family has their
own user name and password, which is the same username and password on each
machine.  That way they can log into any machine and access things like the
printer, which is only on one of the desktops.

One of the desktops has a big hard drive, so I created a folder on it and
shared it all.  Everyone used to be able to access the shared folder quite
easily from any of the three computers, but now no one can.  Put
specifically, everyone seems to have read access, but no one has the ability
to write to it from any other computer other than the desktop that shares it
out.  Not even my wife and I, who I have put into the Administrators groups
on all three machines, can access the shared folder on the desktop that is
sharing it out, unless we're logged into that desktop.

Why is it this way now?  What has changed so that no one can write anything
to that folder from any other machine other than the one the share is on?

Rod