[windows2000] Re: What could be slowing down our Internet access

  • From: "Timothy Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:30:37 -0400

Need to isolate where the problem is first.  Since you are on this list,
start with the cmd "tracert".

Tracert out to some location (like www.thethin.net) and you will see
round-trip delay times to every hop along the way (well, until an ISP blocks
tracrt pings anyway).    If you see a huge jump, that link is the problem.
If it is your external router - you need to look there.  How much traffic,
size of link, does it need a reboot?  If the problem is after the first ISP
hop, then it is their problem - although complaining rarely helps (even
though it does make us feel a whole lot better).

There are other bizarre causes, like DNS resolution issues, but start with
the above.

tim