[windows2000] Re: Webserver stats

  • From: Chris Buechler <win2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:14:18 -0500

Sorin Srbu wrote:

Analog!! It's free, can't get cheaper than that. The website has step-by-step instructions on how to set it up for IIS, if that's what you use. Analog is BTW a defacto-standard for web-stats.
Stay away from AWStats, as that software is apparantely prone to attacks(??).

So is Windows, actually far moreso, but everybody on this list still uses it. ;)

more seriously, yes, it has had its share of security problems, and they have been regularly exploited on the 'net. I still use awstats though. It's on my trusted LAN, behind web server authentication as well. Set up properly with authentication to get to it, there's little security concern. Keep it up to date too (just like Windows and everything else, though awstats has far fewer and less frequent patches) and you won't have anything to worry about.

If you're looking for a commercial product, I've also used and had good luck with Sawmill (www.sawmill.net).

regards,
-Chris