[windows2000] Re: WSUS configuration

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:48:52 -0500

Two options:

1. Get support from management, and mandate that PC's be rebooted on the
way out the door, and left on.

That's what I did... it took a month or so, but eventually, it worked
out.  Every once and a while, someone forgets, and has to wait in the
morning for the updates to install before they can really get going.

But I do my updates in the middle of the night, and don't give the users
the chance to interact... if they stay logged on, and there are updates,
their machine reboots and they lose their work.  Not my fault... they
know the rules.

2. Write a script that queries the client API and reboots the computer
if necessary.
here is a starting point... have this run on your clients every hour or
something:
Set updateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
Set updateSearcher = updateSession.CreateupdateSearcher()
Set searchResult = updateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0")

If searchResult.Updates.Count = 0 Then
        'No reboot necessary
        WScript.Quit
else
    if <the time is written down> then
        if <it was more than an hour ago> then
            Reboot the computer
        end if
    else
        Write the time down somewhere
    end if
End If

But you are really just better off getting your users to reboot at
night.

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave stevens
Posted At: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:28 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: WSUS configuration
Subject: [windows2000] Re: WSUS configuration

Ok, but with some of the users I am dealing with that in itself might
become a problem.

Andrew, the way you have yours setup, does it actually start updates @
4.00pm, and again how do you set the pestering bit? Again has this
worked ok for you guys?

Hey Glenn, has it worked ok for you as well, cos I see a situation were
user would wonder off home and not bother to reboot.

I really wish there was a way  to force reboot say 1hr after reboot
should have taken place. That way it becomes a win-win situation, cos I
got some user who dont understand the need to update thier pc, and are
seriously moaning at the idea of having to reboot their pc.

Dave

Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        It would let the m postpone the reboot, but it will pester the
user every so often :) (every 15mins is default I think)

        The way we have ours set is to auto install at 4pm with a 30min
pestering time. This way, they only really get hassled once before they
go home..

        Andrew

        On 13/12/05, Dave stevens < london31uk@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:london31uk@xxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

                Thanks Glenn.
                Would that option in GPO give the user the ability to
suspend a reboot or is the user not prompted with the option? If it
gives the user the option to reboot later, can a forced reboot be
applied if the has not been rebooted after about 8hrs after patch
applied.?

                Thanks

        Dave

        "Sullivan, Glenn" < GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

                Sure...

                The only time W SUS will only install one patch at a
time is when the patch in question is required for the proper use of
WSUS.

                So, the first time they all connect, your clients will
probably install t he BITS update, and the Windows Installer update.

                But after that, they will download the whole lot (or
what can be done in one sitting... for example, SP2 has to be done by
itself.)

                As to the restart option, set this Group Policy option:
                No Auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update
installations - Enabled

                HTH,
                Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
                David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

                From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave stevens
                Posted At: Tues day, December 13, 2005 10:25 AM
                Posted To: Windows 2000
                Conversation: [windows2000] WSUS configuration
                Subject: [windows2000] WSUS configuration

                Hi Guys,
                Just installed WSUS, and from what I can see loads of
pc's on our network have not been patched in quite a while. Which means
I have a lot of work pushing stuff out.

                My qu estion, is there a way to push out more than 1
update and have the pc's restart only once. Also is it possible to have
the user control when the pc should be restarted after the update has
been installed, and by whom.

                Thanks

                Dave
                ________________________________

                Yahoo! Shopping
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/footer/shopping/*http://shopping.yahoo.c
om/;_ylc=X3oDMTE2bzVzaHJtBF9TAzk1OTQ5NjM2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFnBHNsawNob2xpZGF
5LTA1>

        Yahoo! Shopping
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/footer/shopping/*http://shopping.yahoo.c
om/;_ylc=X3oDMTE2bzVzaHJtBF9TAzk1OTQ5NjM2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFnBHNsawNob2xpZGF
5LTA1+%0A>