[windows2000] Re: WSUS Headache

  • From: "Jensen, Douglas" <douglas.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:58:24 -0500

I don't know then.

I just followed the instructions on installing SUS on a server which
included having IIS installed.

I then set the 4 group policies to do with SUS. One told the computers
that were members of that OU that they should use automatic updates to
install patches and they should install those updates at 3:00 am.  The
updates get pushed down when they are available on the server but the
computer does not actually install them until 3:00 am and then it
reboots if necessary. If a Administrator is logged in when the files are
available to install, Windows offers to install right away and not wait
till 3:00 am.

Another policy tells the computers the location of that SUS
server(http://servername) .

Another tells the computer to wait 5 minutes after startup to install
the updates in case it missed the install time (maybe was not turned on
at 3:00 am).

The last tells our computers to wait till the user restarts the computer
to apply the updates. Otherwise the user will be interrupted by a
computer restart when they don't expect it.

The only other thing I had to do was install the new Auto Update client
on all computers that didn't have Windows 2000 SP3 installed. I expect
this is not an issue and you probably have XP installed that already has
the updated client.

Not much else to it so I don't know what could be the problem.

When you go to the computers that are supposed to be downloading the
updates, if you go into the Control Panel, Are the options in Automatic
Updates applet grayed out? If not, the GP is not being applied to that
computer.

Doug