[windows2000] Re: Very OT - Salary Range

  • From: Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:08:34 -0000

This question crops up every few months on all the technical mailing lists.
In a nutshell, there isn't a set salary for any given post. A company will
set a salaray and if you don't feel you're worth that salary you'll move on
to another company. In my experience that's the only way to get a higher
salary, although you may miss out on other benefits as well. For example, I
earn considerably less than I could do but to make the higher salary I'd
have to move away from an easy drive to work, close proximity to mountains
and affordable housing. Those things are important to me so I stay where I
am. It all comes down to your own priorities.

By all means go to your employer and say "I'm worth $XXXX, give it to me or
I'll leave" but unless you are genuinely irreplaceable, better be ready to
leave.