[windows2000] Re: VPN to my server

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:22:50 -0500

Ray,

First and foremost, verify that they are setting up a true VPN.  Ensure that
their instructions refer to either PPTP (probably not, because MS created
this, and if they are a *nix shop, they probably won't touch it with a ten
foot pole) or IPSec over L2TP.

IPSec over L2TP is the more preferable of the two.

The other option is SSH, which I have little experience with, but it might
be what they offer.  If so, take a look at a program called Putty for the
client piece.

As to the other questions...

Are you making a direct VPN connection to your new server, or to a VPN
concentrator on their network?  If it is direct to your server, make sure
there are a limited number of users with access, with complex passwords.  If
you are connecting to a VPN concentrator, are there rules that limit where a
logged in user can go when they connect?

For example, you may have the best username/password combination in the
world, but if there are no access rules on the VPN concentrator and someone
else has a poorly thought out username and password, you could be vulnerably
by proxy, so to speak.

These rules are what may limit, for example, connections FROM your IP
address TO the web server.

As to connecting directly to terminal services, theoretically it is safe to
connect directly but I would not trust that.  This machine should only be
accessible via port 80 (and/or 443) to the outside world.

Ask more questions if you want, but I hope this helps,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.