[windows2000] Re: Upgrading to gigabit network

  • From: Phillip Newberry <phillip_newberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 04:12:52 -0800 (PST)

There are many factors that determine the speed.  The
switch, network speed, and local resources on the
computers all play a role.

--- Ray Costanzo <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi group,
> At home, I have a 100Mbps network setup and I'm
> trying to find out if it'd
> be worth upgrading my hardware to support gigabit
> speeds.  I'm doing a lot
> of moving large files among machines, and it takes
> quite a while.  But, is
> the speed more determined by the target machine's
> hard drive?  The network
> speed?  Something else?  Most of the machines in my
> domain have ordinary
> ATA/100 7200 RPM hard drives.  It takes about 23
> minutes to move a 4.3 GB
> file from my machine to another.  I have one 16 port
> switch and four 4-8
> port switches I'd have to replace, so before
> incurring that expense, I'd
> like to know if there'd be any real benefit to it.
> Thank you,
> Ray at home

Phil Newberry
Computer Network Engineer Consultant

Your destiny is in your hands.  Just do it.

Do You Yahoo!?
New Site from The Kenzig Group!
Windows Vista Links, list options
and info are available at: