[windows2000] Upgrading to gigabit network

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <ray@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:08:50 -0500

Hi group,

At home, I have a 100Mbps network setup and I'm trying to find out if it'd
be worth upgrading my hardware to support gigabit speeds.  I'm doing a lot
of moving large files among machines, and it takes quite a while.  But, is
the speed more determined by the target machine's hard drive?  The network
speed?  Something else?  Most of the machines in my domain have ordinary
ATA/100 7200 RPM hard drives.  It takes about 23 minutes to move a 4.3 GB
file from my machine to another.  I have one 16 port switch and four 4-8
port switches I'd have to replace, so before incurring that expense, I'd
like to know if there'd be any real benefit to it.

Thank you,

Ray at home