[windows2000] Upgrading a PDC/BDC to Windows 2000 without migrating users.

  • From: CSchwab@xxxxxxxx
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:17:43 -0400

        We have purchased a new Windows 2000 server. Since our company is
small, we have elected to create new accounts on a new server instead of
migrating the old system accounts. We allows us to standardize the naming
conventions and cleanup the system..

        At issue are the old "PDC & BDC". We want to upgrade the systems
to "Windows 2000 Server" and have them be only a member servers. We don't
want to format and reinstall both Windows NT & Windows 2000 software along
with all the other programs. My thought was to upgrade off-line from the
WAN, then run DCpromo to change to a member server hopefully discarding
any migrated accounts. Then join the new domain.

        Is this possible or am I looking at a format & Reinstall?

        Could we reinstall without formatting?

Any comments?

Clint
mailto:cschwab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx