[windows2000] Re: Unnecessary services

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:51:46 -0800

From: "Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Are you sure you want to disable the messenger service?

Yes, I've never found net send to be very reliable anyways.

Other services I'd at least consider disabling:
Removable Storage

This can disable some CD-Rom drives, so I left it out.

IPSec (if not used)

Not using it yet, but planning on it when I get around to that project.

Distributed Link Tracking Client

"Automatically maintains links with NTFS files within your computer or across a domain. For example, you make a file on "Computer A." You then create a "short cut" or "link" to that file on "Computer B." If you would move the file on Computer A to a different location, this service would tell Computer B to update its information to allow uninterrupted connectivity." --Black Viper

Probably don't want to disable that one.

I'm only suggesting those for the sake of having something to suggest
though.  :]

Thanks for the input.

Chris Berry
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." --Darth Vader

Set yourself up for fun at home! Get tips on home entertainment equipment, video game reviews, and more here. http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx

This Weeks Sponsor SeamlessPlanet.com
Register your domain name for as low as $7.75 per year!
Cheaper than Godaddy..same great service! http://SeamlessPlanet.com