[windows2000] Strange things are happening here

  • From: "Shawn R. Beairsto" <sbeairst@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Windows2000 (E-mail)" <Windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 10:17:12 -0500

Hi group,

I'm having a problem on a computer here (the Boss's of course). He's got an IBM
thinkpad running XP Pro. We are a small company, running on a private LAN
(172.16.1.x).
Yesterday, the laptop started having trouble communicating with the rest of the
LAN. Couldn't get email, files, etc. Rebooted, no joy. Checked his settings,
all are normal.
Checked all the cabling as well, its all good. I hooked him up to our ISP's
network connection, and it works fine. The only way I can currently get him
acess to the office network is to have him VPN from the outside network in.
Obviously, less than ideal! ;)

Whats really strange is that when I hook him up to the internal LAN, he can't
even ping anything by IP, it all times out. Doing a route "print looks" fine.
Either I'm missing something completely obvious (possible, 2 year old keeps me
awake alot), or something on his laptop is really fried.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks,

--
Shawn Beairsto