[windows2000] Stop Error - Video driver fails to initialize

  • From: "Ron Leach" <rleach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:17:12 -0400

I swapped hard drives out of two computers so I could keep my programs,
settings, environment variables, etc.  One of them worked like a dream.  It
detected all the hardware and everything and then booted right up.  The other
one will not go past the windows splash screen.  It does a check disk and then
it gives the stop error

***Stop: 0x000000b4 (0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00050000)
"The video driver failed to initialize"

Then it performs a physical memory dump.

It won't boot into safe mode, vga mode, last known good configuration,
anything. It gives the same error.  The only way I can get it to a command
prompt was to put a disk in to the CD drive and reboot.

I tried switching video cards, an I/O fix on microsoft's website, everything I
can think of.

It is Windows 2000 professional with an NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX video card.

TIA

Ron