[windows2000] Re: Sql 2000 question

  • From: Patrick <london31uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 05:03:06 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Glenn. We tried that rename option, but it was not having it, something
to do with not being able to rename the master log file. Anyway it was all part
of reviewing the backup stratergy that I found that a log backup and truncate
had not been done for about 1yr, hence the large log file. Anyway this is a
site I have just recently taken on, so I guess I am likely to see a few things
not quite as i would hope. We managed to backup the old log file and the rename
it and them had sql create a new blank log file with the dettached and attach
command, once that was done we were able to delete the old log file. Shame tho
that you backup a file and as sql to truncate it, but the actual file does not
shrink.

Thanks anyway

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patrick
Posted At: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:32 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Sql 2000 question
Subject: [windows2000] Sql 2000 question

Hi Guys,

Not quite sure if I would find the answer here, but I will ask anyway.

We have an SQL server 2000, with a DB Fire-fly2000.mdb (350mb), and a
corresponding logfile Fire-fly2000.ldf (69GB). Now the issue is that we want to
shink the .ldf file cos of disk space, but we are having a problem with the
naming convention. SQL does not like - in names. Is there a way we can get
around this?

Thanks

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.