[windows2000] Re: Slightly OT: XP SP2 - Install or Not?

  • From: "Neil Bullock" <n.bullock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:06:16 -0000

Hi,

I've installed it on most of the 200 XP machines we have here.  Since then,
I've had some problems that I blame on a combination of XPSP2 and NTFS -
because I can't think of anything else it might be, given the circumstances.
Ever since we installed SP2, occasionally computers running NTFS decide that
they are going to die with 0x00000051 REGISTRY_ERROR stop errors, requiring
re-imaging.  This never once happened in the year or so we had XP with only
SP1, and only ever happens in the rooms running NTFS - we have a room full
of FAT32 machines which stand immune.

Having said that, I've not had any problems at home with XPSP2.  Maybe it's
the school environment it doesn't like.  Though, I'd be grateful if anyone
has any advice.

--
Neil Bullock, ICT Technician
Brayton College, Doncaster Road, Selby, YO8 9QS, England.