[windows2000] Re: Slightly OT: Tales of Two Computers

  • From: Dogers <dogers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 21:59:01 +0000

On 29/10/2007, Charles R. Buchanan <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I was to remove the sound card, I would no longer have any sounds,
> correct?

Yep, but it's only to confirm that it's the Creative card that's
causing the slow boots. Some drivers for SBLives are known to cause XP
to boot very slowly for some reason!

> I also tried to re-install the drivers and the standard dual channel PCI
> IDE Controller is still listed.

Try going into its properties and selecting update driver. Then choose
"from a specific location" and "not to search, i'll select". See if
there's something more specific listed? Windows might not want to
switch to it because it's not a signed driver.

> The thought came to mine that if I add another drive, maybe that would
> let me turn the RAID controller on? I have two drives in the first
> computer, but I don't have a RAID setup. I do remember switching to the
> IDE controller after I had played with a RAID 0 on that one, and the
> computer was slower.

Hmm.. Well, if nothing else fixes it, try loading optimized defaults
in the BIOS (AWARD BIOSes usually have this option on the right hand
column of options, not sure where it is in Phoenix BIOSes!)

> I also updated the BIOS as well. Haven't noticed any obvious changes
> except the number of DIMM slots used/available in the summary.

BIOS updates generally don't do wonders for performance, unfortunately!