[windows2000] Re: Sharepoint authentication

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:09:31 +0200

Sorin Srbu <mailto:sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Friday, October 06, 2006
4:35 PM:

Guys, this is really stupid... Found this FAQ-item on the below
wss.collutions.com site:

"One confusing problem is why you can access a site as http://servername with
no irritating demands for authentication, but try to access the alternative
address http://servername/company.com and you need to enter Name and Password.

It's usually been solved by adding http://servername/company.com to the Local
Intranet Zone (or Trusted Sites) but it took Todd Klindt to give us the
complete reason *why* this is happening.

"By default, URLs without dots in them are put in the "local intranet" zone.

(Amend this default by - in IE Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Local
Intranet -> Sites).

And by default sites, in the local intranet zone are set to use "automatic
login."

Add the FQDN URL to the local intranet zone and the authentication will go
away there too.""

Used the http:/servername to access the site, and no pesky login-boxes popped
up, neither for admins or for readers/contributors. All is well!

> Sullivan, Glenn <> wrote on Friday, October 06, 2006 4:26 PM:
>
> WSS installed on a member server (ie not a DC). I use the Desktop engine, no
> "real" SQL Server, and I see no way to tweak it.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean with DSN and how would I do that?
>
> I just  read on
> <http://wss.collutions.com/pages/III%20-%20Administration.aspx> that one
> should use anonymous access together with integrated authentication. Dunno'
> if this is relevant to my issue.
>

>> Unless your SQL server is a DC (which I would NOT recommend) you should
>> set the DSN to use a fixed account, not integrated security... I.e.,
>> create a SQL login just for the portal stuff, and use the fixed login.
>>
>> Not a sharepoint user, but I've fought with SQL pass-through enough to
>> recognize the symptoms...
>>

>> Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
>> David Clark Company Inc.

GSM