[windows2000] Setting up a Windows 2003 server

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rjfalanga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:47:14 -0700

My Dad is trying to set up a very small network.  There is one server, a
Windows 2003 server, which is not set up as a domain controller (although my
Dad did try that at first.  However, I advised him to not set it up as a
domain, since all of the workstations are Windows XP Home Edition PCs,
which, as I understand it cannot work on an Active Directory domain.)

Now, he cannot get the workstation to see the workgroup specified on the
server.  When he tries to add a user he gets the error message, "Unable to
locate the domain controller.  Active Directory maybe unavailable or you may
have insufficient permissions.  Check these conditions or contact the person
responsible for your network."

So his question is, how does he add a user on a regular server which should
NOT be a domain controller?

Rod