[windows2000] Re: Server Upgrade Problems

  • From: "Amer Karim" <amerk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:27:56 -0800

There is also an issue with a multihomed Win2K server, the Computer Browser
service, and WINS; basically, if you are running WINS server on it as well,
you can't use two NIC's.  There's an MSKB article explaining this, but I
can't seem to locate it just now (perhaps someone else has it handy?) Check
your event logs for errors relating to WINS or the Browser service;
basically, if I recall correctly, by design, there is no way of guaranteeing
that WINS will bind to a specific NIC in a multihomed environment, and a
Master Browser HAS to be a single homed machine..  If you started
experiencing these issues after adding the 2nd NIC, then this issue is a
likely candidate (not knowing anything more about your sever/network
configuration)

I'm sure someone here will be able to expound further (and more clearly) on
this than I have :-).

HTH

Regards,
Amer Karim