[windows2000] SV: Re: OT- NT Print Server

  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:54:13 +0200

No. If you only have 2 drives you almost certanly have to use a RAID1. I would
prefer a hardware raid, software raid is VERY cpu consuming.

Striping is ONLY a good choice if you have at least 3 drives, with 2 drives you
get a stripe set without parity. Wich is very quick, but very dangerous. If one
of two drives crashes, all data is lost. Of course you have a backup, but there
will be downtime when you await new hardware.

Only place there is any sense in using striping without parity is drives with
extreme performance hits, like drives for logs, and of course drives with
performance demands where uptime is no demand.

A printserver does not in any small/medium setups need more than 9 gig. So
thats no problem, if its a dedicated printserver. And the performance
difference between raid1 and a raid0 is so small i guess you have to have
extreme printing needs to justify it.

Mvh
Svein Arild

From: Farrugia, Paul [mailto:pfarrugia@xxxxxxxxxxxx]

I am setting up a print server. It has 2 9gb scsi hd's and will be
running windows nt. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to set
the hard drives up? Should I mirror them or create a stripe set,
etc.......???

personal and confidential use
of the recipient(s) named above.  Distribution, publication, or retransmission
of this message is strictly
prohibited.  This message may be a bank to client communication and as such is
priviliged and confidential.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete
the original message.

The sender of this e-mail specifically "opts-out" of the Electronic Signatures
and Global and National
Commerce Act (E-Sign) and any and all similar state and federal acts.
Accordingly, but without limitation,
any and all documents, contracts, and ageements must contain a handwritten
signature of the sender to
be legal, valid, and enforceable.