[windows2000] Re: SATA-drives with win2k3 and win2k3 r2

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:36:29 -0700

I have asked that question a few times myself, even if I didn't ask a
question, I have learned a lot. :-)  Oh, on a side note, I don't know if
WD has changed the technology in their newer drives, but there werecomplaints
about having to set jumpers and so forth, while other hard drive maker(s)
incorporated the auto throttle feature in the hard drive circuitry (BIOS)
itself, which I guess could be debated on where this feature should be
best installed. (Hard drive vs Motherboard)

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:34:55 +0200, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
took time to say the following:

SS> Charles R. Buchanan <> wrote on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:03 PM:
SS>
SS> What would I do w/o this list... Thx for the info!
SS>
SS> > That is to make the drives backward compatible with SATA-1 systems that
SS> > doesn't have the recent BIOS to automatically throttle the drives down
SS> > to the lower speed. I had that problem and I had to use the jumpers on
SS> > the 200 and 250 SATA drives. I didn't need to use the jumpers on the two
SS> > 360gb SATA drives I just installed because the controller is  a more
SS> > recent one than the other MB I was using.
SS> >
SS> > I think it's a good idea to have the jumpers set from the factory
SS> > because before I knew of the jumpers, I thought I had a DOA drive
SS> > because the computer (BIOS) didn't even know the drive exisited, until I
SS> > set the jumpers, so maybe the HD maker(s) was getting a LOT of calls
SS> > and/or returns because people thought the drive was dead, as I did.
SS> > <shrug>
SS> >
SS> > I tend to think it's a hardware issue.

"They call it PMS because "mad cow disease" was already taken!"