[windows2000] Re: SATA-drives with win2k3 and win2k3 r2

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:02:30 -0700

That is to make the drives backward compatible with SATA-1 systems that
doesn't have the recent BIOS to automatically throttle the drives down
to the lower speed. I had that problem and I had to use the jumpers on
the 200 and 250 SATA drives. I didn't need to use the jumpers on the two
360gb SATA drives I just installed because the controller is  a more
recent one than the other MB I was using.

I think it's a good idea to have the jumpers set from the factory
because before I knew of the jumpers, I thought I had a DOA drive
because the computer (BIOS) didn't even know the drive exisited, until I
set the jumpers, so maybe the HD maker(s) was getting a LOT of calls
and/or returns because people thought the drive was dead, as I did.
<shrug>

I tend to think it's a hardware issue.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:48:13 +0200, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
took time to say the following:

SS> Hi all,
SS>
SS> Just checked out a new delivery of sata-drives I bought recently. They are
all
SS> jumpered to clip at a 1,5GB/s transfer rate. When jumpers removed it's said
SS> support 3GB/s transfer rate.
SS>
SS> Can win2k3 server support this speed at all? Or is it more a hardware
issue?

SS> I can't imagine why otherwise a harddrive would be crippled from factory, ie
SS> jumpered to not allow faster transfer rates than 1,5GB/s.
SS>
SS> TIA.
SS>
SS> BW,
SS>
SS> Sorin
SS>
SS> # Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer      Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
SS> # Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,      Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
SS> # Div of Org Pharm Chem,            Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
SS> # Box 574, Uppsala University,      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
SS> # SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
SS> #
SS> # ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
SS> # /\
SS> #
SS> # Harmless tagline follows:
SS> #
SS> # Sysadmins are the janitors of Information Technology, no matter how much
the
SS> current crop of adolescents looks up to them, like boys in the past admired
SS> riverboat pilots and railroad engineers.

SS> mode or view archives use the below link.
SS>
SS> http://thethin.net/win2000list.cfm

We're all living in America,
America is wunderbar.