[windows2000] Returning username in Windows 98...

  • From: "Steve Rance" <steve.rance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:09:07 +0100

I am setting up AD and want every user to map a drive letter to their =
personal share (eg. map p to \\server\steve). =20

What is the best way to achieve this...

I know that %USERNAME% in batch files doesn't work on Windows 98 =
machines that I have a lot of, so this is not an option (but is there a =
way around this?).

I don't want a batch file for each user with the mapping hard-coded.

I don't really want to use KIX, but I know that this will do it.

I don't want to use the home drive in the user account, as it then =
stores the computer policy on the drive mapping rather than the local pc =
(is there a way around this?)

Ideally, Can I use AD or GPO's in any way to do this..I don't know too =
much about AD yet.

Thanks for any help,

Steve