[windows2000] Re: Remote Backup Solutions

  • From: Dave Flaim <thethin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:19:42 -0500

I'll let you know what else I find ... cost and reliability is tough to find!!

Thanks
Dave

At 06:25 PM 12/12/2006, you wrote:
Dave Flaim wrote:
I've used robocopy in the past, and still do for some replication, but it backs-up the entire file, which can be time consuming if large database files are being changed. I'm looking for 2 solutions. a. Only copies the part of the files that are changed - keeps the replication time down. b. If I have 2 servers - identical hardware - one at each location ... I want the 2nd server to be as close to live (within 30 minutes up-to-date) as possible.

I'll soon be getting underway on a similar project to what you described. Robocopy is great, but not for site to site replication. It doesn't do any compression, and doesn't allow binary differential transfer of files (i.e. you change 1 KB of a 500 MB file and it copies all 500 MB, where as something doing binary differentials will copy only the changed 1 KB). Even with a relatively fat pipe, you don't want that. WAN bandwidth is too expensive to burn up like that. Some of the things I've looked at that are better suited for something of this nature:
-Windows Server 2003 R2's DFS
-Backup Exec 10d and 11d (it's not just for backing up to tape anymore, has some nice replication functionality)
-EMC Replication Manager
-Double-Take Software

Good luck, I'd be interested in hearing (on list or off) how your evaluation goes, if you find anything else suitable, and what you end up going with.
Cheers,
-Chris