[windows2000] Re: RES: Re: WAAAAYYY OT: FrontPage help needed

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:01:23 -0800

From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I was attached to recon, got to blow things up and fix stuff the grunts

I was an Air Traffic Controller. We deployed with 20 generators which powered our direct tv, nintendo, and air conditioners. In our gear was enough room to pack golf clubs and anything else we wanted so in four years I never humped a pack any farther than about ten feet once I was out of boot camp and SOI.

*grinding teeth* I did at least one 25 mile hike a month, and lots of 10's and 15's.

my problem with it is when we want to do something new in an app and we get the "you need SQL 2000 to do that" or "that's only available in Office XP" or they just move the icons around (which really pisses me off) and they call it a new version. Our next office deployment will be Open Office.

We're using Open Office here, the new 1.1 version is sweet, you can export to pdf format. The only time we use MS Office any more is when we're sending documents back and forth with a client, it's being edited at both ends, and they use MS Office.

We are pretty Exchange dependent though. Nothing easy in open source can replace it without the
users noticing. Some things are close. Maybe in another year

The email part is easy to replace, in fact I'd argue that the open source stuff is LOTS better in this aspect, especially when it comes to things like fighting spam. My open source email server project should go online in Jan or Feb, and its SWEET! For the calendaring and meeting aspects I have to agree with you. Fortunately no one here was addicted to that yet so they don't know what they're missing. Things like phpgroupware and such are nice, but aren't as good as Exchange as of yet. Some things are worth paying for like Norton Corporate Anti-Virus, for everything else I'm going with the open source stuff. (One more software vendor to go, and I migrate about 70% of the desktops from win2kpro to Mandrake Linux)

Chris Berry
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays! Snappier product search... http://shopping.msn.com

This Weeks Sponsor Pearl Software