[windows2000] Re: RES: Re: WAAAAYYY OT: FrontPage help needed

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:48:24 -0800

From: "Ray at home" <listray@xxxxxxxxxx>
I could code for MySQL and have a maximum of 10 customers all of whom
would expect everything for free.

The theory behind open source is that it's a different business model. Instead of charging a hefty price for your code, you give it away and make your money off of installation, support, and enhancements. If you're not big into the whole support/consulting thing, then yeah, it's not a good way to go, but there is definitely money to be made there.

I don't have customers anyway. I'm employed by a damn corporation.

Then since you're getting paid salary, you have even more motivation to use open source software since it lowers your department's operating expenses and makes it harder for them to get rid of you, since most open source products require you to know what you're doing.

Chris Berry
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

Is your computer infected with a virus? Find out with a FREE computer virus scan from McAfee. Take the FreeScan now! http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

This Weeks Sponsor Pearl Software