[windows2000] Re: Problem with Network

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:15:13 -0500

Well done...

Do you have a DHCP server in house?   If so, you can have those address
dished out at the same time as the IP address info...

This makes sense, because of how Network Browsing works:

1. Machines fight over who will be the master browser.  The highest
Operating System wins, absent any reg settings to prevent it.
2. If a WINS server exists, the new master browser adds entries to the WINS
database to say "I am the master browser"
3a. When a client browses the network, if there is no WINS server, it makes
a broadcast that says "Hey, who is a Master Browser" and when the master
browser answers (if at all) it returns the browse list.
3b. If there is a WINS server, it queries the WINS server and says "Tell me
who the master browser is" and gets it's IP address.  Then the client
connects to that IP address and retrieves the browse list.

It appears as though the Win2K machine, when powered up, became the master
browser.  But it had no WINS entries, so did not register itself (or the
fact that it was the master browser) in WINS.  When a client (who DOES have
WINS entries) tries to browse the network, it asks the WINS server for the
IP address of the Browse Master.  But because the Win2K machine did not
register, the client gets back the IP address of the OLD master browser.

The client contacts that IP address, and attempts to retrieve a browse list.
But because the IP address is not the Master Browser, the machine
essentially says "Sorry, I'm not who you are looking for."

The client then fails.

Clear as mud, huh?

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.