[windows2000] Re: Printing Permissions Strategy

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:10:58 -0400

I use kix to do something similar for users but the difference is that =
they do not move around on me.  The process is driven by Windows group =
membership. if they are a member of a group, then get certain printers =
created, if they are a member of a different group, they get different =
printers.

If your wan has different subnets, you might be able to do the same =
thing based on what the client IP address is.  That way they only get =
the printers on that subnet.  I think Kix will let you do this but I =
have never done it myself.

They would still be able to manually add and use a different printer if =
they know how to get to it but this would stop a whoops from happening =
to the wrong location.

I hope that makes sense.  I can help you with the printer creation and =
defaulting in Kix if someone else knows how to check the ip address.

more info at www.kix.org

Greg