[windows2000] Printing Permissions Strategy

  • From: "Jason Fiegel" <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:39:57 -0400

I am in the middle of a canundrum that stretches my abilities and
understanding of Windows 200 Security Structures.

I run a 6 site Windows 2000 Native Mode environment.  All sites are WAN
linked, and have at least their own Domain Controller -- we are currently
(and intend to continue to be) running a single Domain.

I have a request from a high level executive to "secure" printers and
printing.
While all users are mobile with laptops and between sites, the goal is to
limit users to the following:

"Any User MAY ONLY print where he is *currently* sitting."

I have entertained various solutions -- including scripting for permissions
and printer packet filtering.

Can any of you offer thoughts on the best solution?
The goal, of course, is to restrict accidental printing of sensitive
documents to remote printers.

Many thanks.
Jfiegel