[windows2000] Print Spooler Dead

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:41:41 -0400

When I came in this morning my print server has been refusing to print.

I have the following "helpful" errors in the event log:

The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 5 time(s).
 The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

The server service was unable to map error code 1727.

The application, spoolsv.exe, generated an application error The error occurred
on 10/21/2003 @ 09:03:10.376 The exception generated was c0000005 at address
76A87199 (WritePort)

I checked out Q199915 but I don't have Jet Direct loaded on this server (or any
other server).  All my printers are setup as a standard tcpip port.  Nothing
has changed on the server.  It is Windows 2000 SP4 with hotfixes.  None of the
printers are new, everything has been running fine for a long time.  I did
reboot it for good measure and I am currently searching MS and google for clues
but none so far.

Has anyone seen this before?  The spool directory is empty and it seems to work
for a few minutes and then die again.

Greg