[windows2000] Policy for Shutdown vs. Reboot

  • From: "Nail, Larry" <lnail@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Windows2000 (windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:12:40 -0600

Folks,

I'm trying to set a local policy such that I can allow a user to reboot a
system, but not shut it down.  It's in a conference room and we don't want
anyone to shut a system down when they leave, but we want them to have the
ability to reboot cleanly if necessary.

Using group policies, I can remove the shutdown button & access to shutdown,
but when I put a reboot Icon on the desktop with a shortcut pointing to
(shutdown.exe -r), it replies:

    The operation completed successfully.
    A required privilege is not held by the client.

The "power users" group has rights to shutdown the system & cleared the
local policies to "not configured".  I wiped the profile too with the same
results... RSOP snapin says not configured as well.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,
Larry
Lawrence D. Nail
Member, Group Technical Staff
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows (r) 2000
Strategy Team
Helpdesk and Desktop Services
Texas Instruments Incorporated