[windows2000] Re: PDF-readers

  • From: "Andrew M Stemen" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 08:51:45 -0400

While Adobe's Acrobat Reader is a bit of a PITA, the amount of resources
that it uses (and the time it takes to launch) can be reduced
drastically by removing plugins that are not needed. I don't have the
site in front of me now, but about a year ago, I configured and deployed
an installation of Acrobat Reader enterprise-wide that had most of the
plugins missing. "Nobody" used them, they were easy to re-enable for
anyone that might need any of them, and with them gone, it launched
virtually instantly.

YMMV...

Andrew

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:11:50 +0200, "Sorin Srbu"
<sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Guys,
>
> What PDF readers do you know of that are free, easy-to-deploy and has a
> small
> footprint?
>
> Acrobat Reader is a dinosaur and a PITA to deploy, while Foxit Reader has
> tendency to exchange letters, or drop them altogether, in articles,
> something
> that is not ok when viewing scientific ones.
>
> Printing with Foxit is also a problem, in that it sometimes prints greek
> letters for some text. Very weird. I've reported the problems to Foxit
> Software, but things don't seem to happen very fast...
>
> TIA.
>

> BW,
>
> Sorin
>
> # Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer  Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
> # Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
> # Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
> # Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
> # SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
> #
> # ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
> # /\
> #
> # Harmless tagline follows:
> #
> # Sysadmins are the janitors of Information Technology, no matter how
> much the
> current crop of adolescents looks up to them, like boys in the past
> admired
> riverboat pilots and railroad engineers.

> http://thethin.net/win2000list.cfm

---
Andrew Michael Stemen
andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx