[windows2000] Re: Online backup recommendations

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:52:13 +0200

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:13:03 -0700, Chris Berry wrote:

>>Online backup-services are great to back up to, but IMO a PITA to
>>restore from (slow...).
>
>Yeah, I know that, but it's only for times when the tape fails.
>
>>We're currently using a so called net backup (with tivoli) to
>>backup user data, profiles and stuff to a central university backup
>>server(s), but we're also currently test driving a backup-solution
>>in-house.
>>
>>The cost is tending to be way to high (currently USD 500 per
>>month...) for net backup services. You might want to check out the
>>cost in advance, and don't forget to take into account how the cost
>>will change when the amount of data increases (it will *never*
>>decrease...).
>
>Well it's only for a subset of our data that is both critical and error
>prone.  Probably less than 5GB of storage, which it looks like I can get for
>maybe $200/mo

A "net-backup" shouldn't be a problem then.

What technology does your intended solution involve? Tivoli?

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\