[windows2000] Re: Online backup recommendations

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:13:03 -0700

From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Online backup-services are great to back up to, but IMO a PITA to
restore from (slow...).

Yeah, I know that, but it's only for times when the tape fails.

We're currently using a so called net backup (with tivoli) to
backup user data, profiles and stuff to a central university backup
server(s), but we're also currently test driving a backup-solution
in-house.

The cost is tending to be way to high (currently USD 500 per
month...) for net backup services. You might want to check out the
cost in advance, and don't forget to take into account how the cost
will change when the amount of data increases (it will *never*
decrease...).

Well it's only for a subset of our data that is both critical and error prone. Probably less than 5GB of storage, which it looks like I can get for maybe $200/mo

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."