[windows2000] Re: OT-XP Boot up

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:38:54 -0800

>From: "Ron Leach" <rleach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>I have a user that is using XP Home on his personal computer.  When he
>boots up there are two choices to boot to.  They both have the same OS
>listed (Windows XP Home Edition).  He wants to delete one of those
>choices.  The correct one of course :).
>This is what his boot.ini file looks like:
>[boot loader]
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=3D"Microsoft Windows XP >Home
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=3D"Microsoft Windows XP >Home
>He has tried deleting one or the other lines with no success.  Any =
>ideas?  TIA!!

I use 2k instead of XP, but one easy solution should be something like this:
  Right click on my computer, select properties, select advanced tab, click
on startup and recovery button, deselect "Display list of operating systems
for 30 seconds"  This won't delete his second choice (perhaps he wasn't
saving the file after editing it?) but it will boot the computer without
pausing to give him a choice of different XP's.

Chris Berry
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"And here in our server room you can see our Beowolf Cluster of C64's that
keeps our enterprise on the very cutting edge of technology."