[windows2000] Re: OT: Virtual PC

  • From: Chris Buechler <win2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:17:05 -0500

Sorin Srbu wrote:

Yeah, I know, I expected that too, but not to that degree. The Evo is after all considered pretty fast still IMHO.

laptops have much slower I/O than desktop machines. 7200 RPM drives narrows that gap, but I have no doubt if you'd run some disk I/O benchmarks, you would see the desktop come out far ahead.

Being a VM addict, I've given up on laptops for any serious day to day use and moved on to dual proc desktops.

Oh well, win some loose some... I moved all virtual machines to my stationary, and after christmas I'll ask my boss for a new stationary with at least 2GB RAM, maybe an Amd64 x2 (3500-4200 or so) running of a mobo with nforce4 chips, and two really big harddrives (200GB each or so) and raid0 them. Hopefully this'll be enough for some years to come <crossing fingers>.
Maybe you guys on this list could say whether the above hardware should be ok for running VMs?

I run a dual Xeon 3.0 (400 FSB) with 2 GB RAM, dedicated 250 GB SATA drive for VM's as my desktop at home, and can run 8-10 simultaneous VM's without bogging things down too much. At work, I run a dual Xeon 3.4 (800 FSB), 2 GB RAM, VM's between the internal 73 GB 10K RPM SATA drive and an external USB 2.0 300 GB drive. I actually first ran a VM off the USB drive as a joke (err...geek humor), to see just how slow it would be. :) But honestly, it's just as fast as the 10K RPM internal SATA drive (i.e. hauls ass), though I haven't run more than two simultaneous VM's off the external drive.

On both my dual Xeon boxes, the first limitation is RAM. Before I dedicated a second drive to VM's on my desktop at home, disk I/O was the first bottleneck (in that the whole system came to a crawl when VM's starting hitting the disks hard, like when starting up a VM team). The 3.4 800 FSB is dramatically faster than the 3.0 400 FSB, FWIW.

glancing back up at the subject, I see VPC. Note, I have VPC, but my experience is 95% VMware (Workstation and GSX) as it's always proved to be vastly superior.

hth,
-Chris