[windows2000] Re: OT Sorry to interupt the Friday fun...

  • From: "Jensen, Douglas" <douglas.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:18:10 -0500

When all else fails you can always search the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

See below or search on the following topic.

Douglas Jensen
Voice (952) 402-9821
Fax    (952) 402-9815
Network Administrator
Scott Carver Dakota CAP Agency, Inc.
712 Canterbury Road
Shakopee, MN 55379

Unable to Remove Read-Only Attribute from Folder

Article ID       :       256614
Last Review      :       September 29, 2004
Revision         :       4.1

For a Microsoft Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server 2003
version of this article, see 326549
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/EN-US/> .

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the
registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and
make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem
occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the
registry, click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/EN-US/>  Description of
the Microsoft Windows Registry

On this Page

You may be unable to remove the Read-Only attribute from a folder using
Windows Explorer. In addition, some programs may display error messages
when you try to save files to the folder.

This behavior occurs because the folder is customized. You can customize
a folder by clicking Customize this folder on the View menu. Many
programs also customize folders (for example, the Fonts folder comes
with a customization as part of the standard system configuration).

This behavior is by design.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or
not the folder is customized. To work around this behavior, you can
configure Windows Explorer to use the System flag instead of the
Read-Only flag. To do this, use the following steps.

NOTE: Some programs do not operate correctly with folders that have the
System attribute configured.
1.       Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
2.       Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer
3.       On the Edit menu, point to New, click DWORD Value, and then
type the following registry value name:
4.       Right-click the new value, and then click Modify.
5.       Type 1, and then click OK.
6.       Quit Registry Editor.
7.       After you make this change to the registry, you must change the
Read-Only attribute for all affected folders by using the attrib command
at a command prompt (Command.com or Cmd.exe). Type attrib /? at the
command prompt to view the syntax for the attrib command. For example,
to change the Read-Only attribute to System for the C:\Test folder, use
the following command:
attrib -r +s c:\test
You can find additional information about folder customization in the
Platform Software Development Kit (SDK). Refer to the
PathMakeSystemFolder function and the "Customizing Folders with
Desktop.ini" shell basics chapter at the following Microsoft Web sites:

*        Microsoft Windows 2000 Enterprise Edition
*        Microsoft Windows 2000 Enterprise Edition
*        Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
*        Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
*        Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition
*        Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
*        Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
*        Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
*        Microsoft Windows 95