[windows2000] Re: OT: SATA Hard Drives

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:01:41 +0100

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> wrote on :

> I am planning on buying a second 200GB hard drive and experiment with a
> RAID array and I was wondering if it is advisable/recommended to buy the
> same name brand?

I run software raids in win2k/xp/win2k3 with same size-different brands
harddrives. No problem there. If I'm building a software raid from scratch,
I usually buy same size-same brand drives for practical purposes.

> This is more out of curiosity because I buy nothing but
> WD drives.

I usually stay with Seagate or WD.

> From what I read, that is, if I understood it correctly is
> that by doing the RAID that spreads the info on the two drives increases
> reads/writes, especially for gaming. Is this true?

For Raid-0 it's true. But you don't have any security there. If one of the
drives die, you loose the data on both. In practice and non-critical systems
it's fine though, as it's really fast. I use this myself. With raid-0, the
more drives you add, the faster it gets basically.

> Acutually I would
> just like to have the extra real estate, but at least I can scratch
> doing the RAID thing off my list of experiments! :-)  Plus, I have my
> eye on that Seagate 500GB hard drive! ;-)

I joined two separate 200GB drives recently on one of our fileservers, and
ended up with 100GB extra, which was the original intention. One of the two
drives wasn't as much used, as the other one.

Raid-0 *is* good, if you can backup stuff properly. If the data is important
and you can't afford to loose, better look at raid 0+1 or similar.

HTH.