[windows2000] Re: OT: SATA Hard Drives

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:41:20 +0100

windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> wrote on :

> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:10:50 +0100, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> took time to say the following:
>
>> windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <> wrote on :
>>
>> I don't have a problem booting fast enough on my oldie PATA-drives. 8-)
If
>> that's an issue for you, then install the os on the raided SATA-drives.
It's
>> all about how you things setup. Me for instance prefer stability and just
>> plainly hate to reinstall the os and all the apps, should the raid array
>> break. It's not the actual work that bothers me, it's the time it takes
>> setup eveything again. But that's just me. 8-)
>
> That's probably the biggest possible setback, but while I don't
> re-install as much as I use to, it's not a HUGE problem. Sometimes it's
> good to start off with a clean slate. :-)

Yeah, it is. I just recently reinstalled my admin-workstation, and it is
faster now. Besides the fact that some small irritating problems (mainly
releted to office oand outlook) have just vanished.

>> YMMV as they say. 8-)
>
> Yep!
>

>> Out of curiosity, how much faster do you boot on the SATA-drives compared
>> the PATA-drives? Are talking minutes or tens of seconds/seconds?
>
> I would say it's faster by a minute or two. Never thought of timing it,
> but it was a noticable difference.

That much??! What hardware do you have and what do you load when booting,
for it to take such time? Have you defragged lately?