[windows2000] Re: OT - Question about supporting Personal PC's

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:23:31 +0200

Hi,

Whay you need is an official policy stating that workrelated
computers have absolute priority. This does *not* include private
computers the owners screwed up.

The private computers I would be willing to fix, but only on my
spare time (off-work) and then I'd request a reasonable fee.

At least this is how most sys/network admins would do it in sweden.
Who would say no to an extra something?

Anyway, the first thing I'd do is to write up a policy and get it
ratified by my boss, by him/her signing it.

HTH.

PS. I've been where you just came back from, only the computers
involved were dept computers that the kids (or whoever...) had
installed file-sharing software and god knows what else. I
personally went down to the persons in question and gave them a
scalding they'll late forget. Hasn't happened since... 8-) DS.

--Original Message Text---
From: Farrugia, Paul
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:55:38 -0400

Hello, sorry this is way off topic but I need to vent before I get
myself fired by beating someone with a keyboard,

I was wondering what others are doing or would do with situations
similar to this:

I work for a credit union. We have Board members who are given
perks each year (laptops, desktops, cell phones, etc.). When
something goes wrong with one of these devices (usually do to
users negligence) they expect our IT department to fix them. Our
upper management is too busy brown nosing the board so they expect
us to fix these problems as well.

Last Friday I was told by the VP of my department that on Monday
(yesterday) I would have to go to one of our branch locations to
meet with one of the board members because he cannot dial up to AOL
on a desktop PC that we gave him a year and a half ago and he was
also having other problems. I had to bite my tongue while my VP
told me this. As soon as he left I went to my manager told him that
this was a load of horse crap and he agreed with me. (By the way I
am the only network admin here and I have 12 laptops, 4 desktops
and a new server to set up). I made the suggestion of having the
board member overnight the PC to us or having someone in our branch
send it for him so he doesnt have to get his hands dirty. This
would have been more cost efficient as well.  Well, my VP who I
guess knows more then me said no. Go figure. Anyway I go and get
the PC and bring it back to my office.

Today I am told that the PC needs to be returned by Thursday the
latest. (Oh by the way I cannot fed ex it back to him as per my
VP). My manager tells me to work on that PC only, forget everything
else and just do that. He doesnt agree with what is going on as
well. So I boot the PC up and of course every program you can think
of is installed on it, except for the anti- virus program which I
know at one point was on the machine because I installed it myself.
I can also tell that his teenage daughter uses the pc for things
that teens do these days. I run a virus scan and guess what the PC
is infected with 4 Trojan horses. Also windows update hasnt been
done in the longest of time.

Basically I am trying to find out if this is something that I
should have to do for the fear of losing my job or do I have any
recourse in situations like these. I think this is totally
ridiculous that we can give someone a perk and he can abuse it
and expect us to fix it.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\