[windows2000] Re: OT - Question about supporting Personal PC's

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:21:46 -0400

I have to do this too but on most occasions, it involves me actually traveling
to their house too.

I had the same thing happen here.  His daughter had managed to install a bunch
of trojans etc.  I explained to him the dangers of a Trojan logging his
keystrokes because he does a lot of online banking.    He was pretty pissed at
here.  I now have to go back out there and install a Watchguard SOHO for him.
But before I can do that I have to go to our President's house and install a
new video card for him so he can play Flight Simulator.  It's all part of the
job even if its not in the description.

I just do it.  They are the ones signing my paychecks.  If they feel my time is
better spent doing crap for them rather than everyone else then that is their
problem.  I get paid whether I am doing that or building a server.  Either way,
it's their money.

I look at it as all part of the job.  One thing I did for the rest of the
employees here is enroll us in the CDW Employee Purchase Program.  It lets all
our employees buy computers with the same discount level we get.  Which really
isn't very much.  But, support becomes CDW's problem and not mine.  I have
found that even if I recommend a computer for someone, it suddenly becomes my
support headache forever.  Family and friends do this to me as well as our
users.  I point all my users to CDW, and I tell all my family and friends to
get an iMac.

Who knows, that guy may get promoted or something and then remembers you as the
IT guy with the bad attitude who didn't want to help him.  I would just do it
with a smile and be as helpful as possible so that he thinks you are a genius
in the end.  Then he tells everyone how great you are and they should double
your pay. You never know when you may cross this guy's path again.

Greg