[windows2000] Re: OT: Programming question

  • From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:05:39 -0500

That's actually what I'm trying to do now.  When the names comes up strange,
it goes into an exception list... The users will then be able to modify the
list and then add the records...

>From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>It's funny that you mention that!!!  That's why I got stuck with this
>in
>the
>first place.  When we first heard about the conversion, the powers that be
>decided to outsource this.  We have 10's of thousands of students (dating
>back to the 80's) and we're converting the student transcripts.  So, in
>management's mind, it would be easier to outsource the project then let
>someone here do it.  Well, here's the steps they were going to take - print
>each transcript only to have them scanned back in at the vendors to
>incorporate into a DB.  Cost?  $150k.  Can you believe that?
>
>So, I told them - Hey, I'll do it for a couple of thousand and I'll
>have it done in less then a week!  Besides the name snafu, everything
>works perfectly!  I might even get a decent bonus out of it....
>
>Outsourcing?  Geez, who needs it!

Hmm, well if there's money in it, that's different.  How about writing a
program to go through and divide the data into several different lists by
number of names, then write a seperate parser for each list, or create some
kind of name wierdness detector so that you can do the bulk of the data
automatically and then focus on the strange ones that you have left.