[windows2000] OT: Passing MSN audio through home firewalls

  • From: "Ed" <elf@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Win2000" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:05:40 -0700

Sorry for a slightly off topic question....

The Setup (at Home):
Win2000 OS MSN Messenger all updated
NetGear FR114P

Problem: When my wife uses MSN Messenger, just the typing part), it all
works. However, when she tried to initiate a audio conversation, it always
fail. I have sniffed for the various ports that have to be opened (open both
way and all protocols). I open the ports in the firewall. However, audio
conversations still do not work.

Question: Has anyone been able to make MSN Messenger work with an audio
conversation through a NAT based firewall?

At work, our firewall (Cisco) blocks almost everything. However, MSN
Messenger works with audio (tested only once).

Eduard L. Frerking
Captain Jason M. Dahl School
San José, CA 95111